The Home that Stayed
Part One: A House Full of Memories
There is a strange kind of grief that no one prepares you for.
It isn’t always losing a person.
Sometimes it’s learning how to live inside the place where your life changed.
People tell you to move on.
To heal.
To rediscover yourself.
They remind you that time helps.
That you’ll eventually smile again.
But no one talks about the house.
No one talks about the walls that witnessed everything.
The kitchen where family dinners were made.
The living room where birthdays were celebrated.
The hallway your children ran through.
The bedroom where you dreamed about forever.
Or the quiet that follows after everyone leaves.
This house has held so many versions of me.
A young wife trying to build a life.
A mother raising four boys.
A divorced woman learning how to survive.
A woman who opened her heart again, believing maybe love had found its way back.
And then…
A woman who had to learn how to stand on her own once more.
For a long time, I think I believed healing only happened inside us.
In our hearts.
Our minds.
Our journals.
Our therapy sessions.
Our prayers.
Our long walks.
Our tears.
But lately I’ve realized something else.
Sometimes healing asks us to change our surroundings too.
Not because we’re running from our past.
Because we’re finally ready to stop living inside it.
If you’ve followed my journey for a while, you’ve watched me rebuild pieces of my life.
You’ve watched me travel by myself.
Stand on mountaintops.
Chase waterfalls.
Start a business.
Raise four incredible boys.
Learn boundaries.
Lose people I thought would be beside me forever.
Find parts of myself I didn’t even know existed.
Yet somehow…
I’ve been walking back into a home that still belonged to every version of me except the one standing here today.
The woman I am now needs something different.
She needs peace.
She needs softness.
She needs room to breathe.
She needs a place that feels like an exhale.
For months I’ve looked at my bedroom and thought, “I’ll get to it.”
I’ve walked past closets that no longer fit my life.
I’ve left little reminders of old chapters sitting exactly where they always were.
Not because I’m lazy.
Not because I don’t care.
Because letting go is hard.
Sometimes changing a room means admitting life has changed too.
And if I’m being completely honest…
Every time I’ve completely redone a space in my life, it came after something painful.
A breakup.
A divorce.
Another ending.
So maybe a small part of me started believing that creating something beautiful meant another heartbreak had to come first.
But I’m choosing to believe something different now.
Maybe this time I’m not rebuilding because everything fell apart.
Maybe I’m rebuilding because I’ve grown.
Maybe this isn’t about replacing memories.
Maybe it’s about making space for new ones.
So this is the beginning of something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.
I’m calling it The Home That Stayed.
Over the next several weeks, I’m going to take you through every room of my house.
Not to show off decorating skills.
Not to make everything Pinterest perfect.
But to share the stories each room carries.
The lessons they still have to teach me.
And how I’m slowly turning this house into something that reflects the woman I am today.
Not yesterday.
Not who someone else needed me to be.
Me.
Maybe your home has become a museum of old versions of yourself too.
Maybe there’s a room you’ve been avoiding.
A drawer you haven’t opened.
A corner that still belongs to a chapter that’s already over.
If that’s you…
Come with me.
Let’s stop waiting until life feels perfect.
Let’s stop believing we have to move to find a fresh start.
Sometimes…
the greatest transformation doesn’t happen because we leave.
Sometimes it happens because we finally decide to stay.
And build something beautiful exactly where we are.

Comments
Post a Comment