The Home That Stayed (part 2)
The Room That Kept Every Version of Me
I’m cleaning out my room.
I thought all traces of us had been removed when you left. Instead, I found myself surrounded by memories. Not just of the love I lost recently, but of a marriage I once believed would last forever.
It’s funny. When I think about my marriage now, I don’t think forever. Maybe that’s what time does. Maybe it’s because I experienced another kind of love afterward—one so different that it changed the way I understood love altogether. I won’t tell every detail. Every love deserves its own chapter.
When I first moved into this house, it was my husband, our oldest son, and me. Newly married. Still carrying the grief of losing someone incredibly important to both of us just a year before. I was young enough to believe I knew exactly what life would become. I had already written the ending in my head.
This room watched little hands crawl into bed in the middle of the night asking for a slumber party. It watched me hold feverish children until they finally fell asleep. It watched me wake over and over to check on them because that’s what mothers do.
Those are the memories that deserve to stay.
The ones I never expected were the ones between us.
I didn’t realize how badly I wanted to escape. I didn’t understand how much of myself I had lost until the day I finally left. I moved out for nearly two years.
When I came back, the last version of us was gone.
What remained were holes in the walls we had tried to patch. Marks left behind by anger. Broken things we pretended weren’t broken.
Call it toxic.
Call it childish.
Call it survival.
It was our story.
So I started over.
I painted every wall myself. I rearranged furniture. I slowly built a sanctuary instead of a battlefield.
The room became ours in a different way.
Movie nights piled together in one oversized bed I had purposely bought so everyone could fit. Tiny feet climbing in during thunderstorms because Mom’s bed felt safest. Laughter. Pets. Quiet mornings. The life I had dreamed about was happening…
Just differently.
Then another love found me.
Someone who already knew my story before he became part of it.
Early in our relationship, the house flooded while we were away on our first trip together. Looking back, it almost feels like the universe nudged us and whispered, Build it differently this time.
Maybe I’m romanticizing it.
Maybe I’m not.
Either way, we rebuilt.
We chose tile together. Flooring. Shower heads. Paint colors. Fixtures. Every decision felt like we were replacing old pain with new possibility.
We weren’t just remodeling a house.
We were remodeling hope.
For a little over two years, those old holes weren’t from anger anymore. They were from hanging pictures. Moving shelves. Living life.
Then one day…
I came home, and everything was gone again.
The first thing I did was move furniture.
As if shifting a dresser could somehow move grief.
It didn’t cover the holes.
It didn’t erase the stains.
It didn’t silence the memories.
The promises made in this room.
The mornings I was pulled back into bed because you weren’t ready for me to leave yet.
The laughter.
The plans.
The future we built before it quietly disappeared.
No matter how I rearranged the furniture, the room still remembered.
And so did I.
Now life has changed again.
The walls are the same.
The carpet is the same.
The room is the same.
But I am not.
This time, I’m not rebuilding with someone else.
I’m covering holes because I choose what hangs there next.
I’m choosing pictures that belong to me.
Creating corners that bring me peace.
Making this room my sanctuary—not because someone helped me create it, but because I did.
I’ll be honest.
This chapter has been the hardest.
Because every version of me has lived in this room.
The hopeful newlywed.
The exhausted mother.
The woman trying to survive.
The woman who learned to love again.
The woman who had to let go again.
Every one of them still exists within these four walls.
But there is one thing they all have in common.
She never stopped being a dreamer.
The dreams changed.
The people changed.
The plans changed.
But the dreaming never did.
So here’s to new dreams.
To building a room that belongs only to me.
A place that doesn’t represent who stayed or who left—but who I became.
And maybe, just maybe…
I won’t have to move this furniture ever again.

Comments
Post a Comment